Friday, July 17, 2009

Banishing HFCS: Margaritas

I think high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is the devil, and I'm on a mission to remove it from my diet altogether.  Sometimes this is simple, but it seems that I really run into trouble when I try to find drink mixers sans HFCS.  This was recently the case when I set out to find sweet and sour mix for margaritas so I decided to make my own.

Sweet and Sour Mix

ingredients:
3 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 cups lime juice
2 cups lemon juice

Combine water and sugar in a stock pot and stir to dissolve sugar.  Bring to a boil then remove from heat.  You now have simple syrup.  Allow the simple syrup to cool.  Add lime and lemon juice.  Refrigerate until cold.

I like my margaritas on the rocks with plenty of lime and no salt.  Feel free to modify to fit your particular likes and dislikes.  (Charlie always goes for the salt.)  Here's a loose recipe.

Margarita

Fill a low-ball glass with ice.  Combine one part tequila and two parts sweet and sour mix.  Top with a splash of orange liqueur (I like Patron Orange) and a slice of lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment