Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Spring Salad

IMG_5643.JPG

I'm always looking for something to cook that shows off the fresh herbs I've been growing. This year I planted apple mint in addition to the spearmint I usually grow. It has really taken off in the last few weeks and is now trying its best to escape from its pot and sneak out the window.

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG

Apple mint is a little sweeter than other types of mint I've grown. I like that it adds a bit of freshness without tasting like a tube of toothpaste.

I've also had a lot of success with cilantro this year. Last year it was droopy and didn't do so well, so I was quite surprised when it started going nuts and jumping out of its pot. It even grew a few little flowers which I snipped and used as a garnish for another dish. In the last few days it has fallen over, but I think it's just adjusting to its slightly larger new pot. Hopefully things will straighten out before too long.


IMG_5648.JPG

IMG_5661.JPG

Last night the cilantro and apple mint teamed up in a happy spring salad. I had a few English cucumbers and some gorgeous yellow and orange carrots from the farmer's market, and I knew they would benefit from fresh, bright herbs. I roughly chopped the cucumber into large chunks, sliced the carrots into crisp rounds, and tossed them with a little extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. I then cut a handful of apple mint and cilantro from my plants, bruised them a bit to release their flavors, and sliced the herbs into thin ribbons. The mint and cilantro joined the veggies in a big bowl, were gently tossed about, then spritzed with a tiny bit of lemon juice before serving. The salad was just as I'd hoped it would be: light, fresh, and springy. It's not a show-stopper, but it does a little something to brighten a spring meal.


IMG_5645.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment