Monday, May 11, 2009

Mussels and Shrimp in a Spicy Tomato Broth

IMG_3046.JPG

What a bad blogger I've been!  It's not that I haven't been cooking, I just haven't been photographing my creations, and I don't want to post without at least a few pictures.  I recently made a lovely meal consisting of Mussels and Shrimp in a Spicy Tomato Broth, Arugula and Edamame Pesto on Crostini, Caprese Salad, and Stuffed Mushrooms.  I also tried out Vodka Rosemary Fizzes which were beautiful (and it's a real shame I didn't snap a couple photos of those).  So, here we go.  Over the next few posts I'll dive into the dishes listed above.

For starters, the Mussels and Shrimp were just fantastic.  I used plenty of white wine and garlic for the broth, then added a fair amount of heat with crushed red pepper flakes.  Next time I'll toss the whole thing with linguini, but even as it is this recipe's a keeper.

Mussels and Shrimp in a Spicy Tomato Broth
adapted from a recipe by Giada de Laurentis

ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
7 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 - 2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 cup white wine (I like a slightly sweet white wine with the seafood)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 1/2 lbs mussels, debearded and scrubbed
1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup torn basil leaves

In a large, wide pot, heat the oil over a medium flame.  Add garlic, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes, and saute until the garlic is tender, about 1 minute.  Add the wine and bring to a boil.  Add tomatoes and their juices and simmer, stirring often, until the tomatoes begin to break down and the flavors blend, 8 - 10 minutes.  Stir in the mussels, then cover and cook until they open, about 5 minutes.*
Using tongs, transfer the opened shellfish to serving bowls.  Add the shrimp to the simmering tomato broth, and simmer until they are just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Do not overcook!  Stir in the basil, and remove the bay leaves.  Divide the shrimp and tomato broth among bowls and serve with crusty bread.  OR toss with linguini and sprinkle with additional chopped basil.

*When cooking mussels, always discard any that do not open after cooking!


IMG_3043.JPG

I wish I had a better photo of the finished dish because it was just beautiful.  Mussels always make for a dramatic presentation, and the bright red of the tomatoes really makes them pop.  This is a quick, simple dish perfect for a weeknight meal and inexpensive to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment