Monday, June 15, 2009

Green Meanies

IMG_3563.JPG

 Today I was in serious need of green vegetables.  I had a few vodka tonics last night and there was a horrible smell in the common area of our apartment building this morning.  (It's been building since Saturday.  I think something must have died in a utility closet.  Yuck.)  Those two things in combination with a long commute and not enough sleep last night left me craving something fresh and bright -- something very green.  
The dish I concocted is very simple, but it packs a powerful punch.  I chose brussel sprouts, broccoli, and summer squash as the main components of my lunch.  As the vegetables cooked and the colors brightened in the pan I felt my mood becoming lighter.  A few dashes of cumin brought the earthiness I was looking for, and crunchy pecans gave me a pleasing contrast in texture.  I felt the need for nutmeg so I sprinkled a little on top and sat down to a plate full of happy-looking vegetables.  Three bites into it and any queasiness left over from the morning had vanished.  

IMG_3547.JPG

Green Meanies (to fight the queasies)

ingredients:
1 small head broccoli
6 brussel sprouts
1 medium yellow squash
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
a sprinkling of cayenne pepper
3 Tablespoons chopped pecans
a sprinkling of ground nutmeg

Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets, quarter the brussel sprouts, and slice the squash into long thin strips.  Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat.  Once the oil is hot add the broccoli, brussel sprouts, and yellow squash.  Saute approximately two minutes.  

IMG_3555.JPG
Add the ground cumin and cayenne pepper then saute an additional two minutes.  Remove from heat and top with chopped pecans.  Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve immediately.  


IMG_3560.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment