Monday, June 22, 2009

Rye Bread: Part Two (Pastoli)

IMG_3629.JPG

Pastoli!  Do you know what that means?  I didn't either because Charlie made up the word.  :)  I needed a name for the filled rye sandwiches I made with leftover rye dough, and he came up with pastoli.   I decided to keep the name when it passed the google test (it doesn't mean anything terrible and it isn't any sort of brand name as far as I can tell). 

This is a loose recipe for pastoli with salami, provolone, pickles, and spicy mustard. The ingredient quantities aren't exact because of the playful nature of this dish, and a zillion variations are possible. I think rosemary bread with brie, sliced turkey, and granny smith apples would be tasty. Maybe something with pesto? If anyone tries these at home please let me know what fillings you used and your level of success.

Rye Pastoli

ingredients:
1/2 recipe rye dough
8 slices provolone cheese
12 thin slices salami
spicy mustard
sliced pickles
1 egg
kosher salt

Make the rye dough and allow to rise for approximately one hour (first rise).
Take a large handful of rye dough and stretch it into a small square. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough into a rectangle approximately 8 x 10 inches in size. (It doesn't have to be a perfect rectangle so don't stress over that.)

IMG_3582.JPG

Place a small spoonful of spicy mustard in the center of the rectangle and spread around the center.

IMG_3585.JPG

Top with pickle slices, 2 -3 slices of provolone cheese and 3 -4 slices salami.

IMG_3586.JPG

Fold the short ends toward the center, leaving about 1/3 of the filling uncovered. Fold one of the long ends toward the center. Take care not to tear the dough.

IMG_3590.JPG

Put a little water on your fingertips and wet the edge of the last side a little. Fold it over and press against the opposite edge to seal. You should have a neat little packet of dough.

IMG_3591.JPG

Make four packets and place them seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow to rise a second time for approximately one hour.

IMG_3594.JPG

I think they look pretty great at this stage!  Also, this is the point at which you can refrigerate them.  Keep reading for more info on that.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat an egg with 1 Tbsp water and lightly brush over each packet. Cut three slits in each bundle and sprinkle with kosher salt.

IMG_3599.JPG

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until bread is baked through and tops are golden.

IMG_3617.JPG

Take a deep breath while the pastoli bakes because your house is going to smell amazing!  Cut each pastoli in half and serve while still warm.

IMG_3630.JPG

I love how unfussy, yet somewhat impressive, these are.  Also, they can be assembled up to one day ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to bake.  Just let them come back to room temperature and rise for about thirty minutes.
 I think they would be perfect for taking on picnics because they're so self-contained.  I happen to know they're great around the pool, and everyone I've made them for (only four people so far, but they'll make an appearance at a larger gathering I'm sure) really likes them.  
I think rye bread is perfect for these, but I made another batch a few days ago using different dough and they were good too.  Still, as far as I'm concerned rye is the way to go.  

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, this has been my favorite Kasie creation!! The bread was so yummy and I loved the flavor of the mustard. goooood going!
    But hey, I thought it was pastori?

    ReplyDelete