Friday, March 27, 2009

What a week...

Boy, this has been a lousy week (understatement). My family has had a very tough time of it the last few days due to a medical situation involving my brother. It has been an emotionally up-and-down time, and I am humbled and inexpressibly grateful for the outpouring of love we have received from friends and family. My family and I are so lucky to have such caring, good people in our lives.
During this time I've continued blogging, and it's really helped me keep my sanity. It gives me something to do that is unrelated to my troubles and gives me a measure of peace. Also, I've really turned to food and cooking as a way of comforting myself and others. There isn't anything I can do to change the situation we are facing, but damn it, I can cook dinner! Having something productive to do that also nourishes those around me has been...i don't know. Helpful is the only thing I can think of, but that doesn't seem to encompass all that I feel or mean.
So, this post isn't really about food or cooking, but I am reminded of how food can bring people together when times are tough, and I'm grateful to have something to hold on to.

3 comments:

  1. Food has always been a great comfort to people in times of trouble. That's why it is tradition to take food when people are sick, etc. We are all praying for Shawn and Sarah and all of you. I get calls several times a day from Brandon Michael and Rachel and others wanting to know if we've heard anything and I try to pass along all info. We love you guys and are praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support Sharon. He's doing much better, and it's great to know that friends and family are thinking of him right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kas,
    My family is a victim of your & Charlie's loving, kind,& generous hospitality. Thank you both so much for making us feel welcomed & loved. I so do not like cauliflower Sam I am but your roasted was delicious! I came home & made roasted broccoli and everyone loved it. I am so grateful to our loving god for answers to prayers. Spoke to your Dad this am. We girls over here are trying to feed him & do what we can. We all love you & your family-heck, your family is our family. It is us who are so blessed to have you all. I feel better reading this blog. It makes me feel closer to ya'll.

    ReplyDelete